Altered Precipitation

The amount, type, and timing of precipitation across the United States influences vegetative distribution and productivity. Changes in precipitation regimes in a changing climate, are expected to challenge land managers and producers with short- and long-term planning under greater variability and threats to working land sustainability. Likely threats include increased runoff, flooding, erosion, landslides and susceptibility to pests, decreased soil moisture and productivity, and earlier snowmelt. The USDA Climate Hubs are working with land managers to develop and implement practices to minimize the associated impacts of increasing precipitation variability.

Warmer temperatures and longer growing seasons offer Pennsylvania dairy farmers the ability to plant more than one crop in a season. But increasing frequency of extreme rainfall presents new challenges. Double cropping with winter annuals can increase forage production and…

  Project Area Brix Cider Farm near Barneveld, WI is home to a two-acre high density orchard consisting of apples, cherries, pears, and plums. 90% of this farm land is for apple production and the other 10% is cherry, pear, and plum production. This orchard lies in the…

2019 has proven to be an extreme year weather-wise here in the Midwest--from extreme cold in January, the Bomb Cyclone in March, and tornadoes in April to extensive rain and subsequent flooding in May and June. The Midwest states are no strangers to disaster. As we look back on…

Extreme Precipitation and Trends There is clear evidence that precipitation in the Northeast is more intense than it was in the past. The increase in the Northeast has been greater than any other region in the U.S. (Figure 1). Between 1901 and 2014, total annual precipitation…

Taking action now can help forested watersheds prepare for and adapt to a changing climate. Forested watersheds improve water quality and enhance water storage, naturally regulate streamflows, reduce flood damages and stormwater runoff, replenish groundwater and provide a myriad…

Capstone students are helping us hear the stories of farmers who are adapting to climate change The Public Communication Capstone is a service-learning course at the University of Vermont (UVM). The USDA Northeast Climate Hub partnered with a team of Capstone students in Spring…

Engaging the Integrated Erosion Tool (IET) to define Soil Conditioning Index (SCI), understand impacts of climate on modeled cropping systems plus improve farmer profitability  The 2019 Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) Liaison, Justin Mount, is working with the…

The following Symposium will take place at the National Adaptation Forum on Tuesday, April 23rd from 1100-1230.   Improving Decision-Making Through Regional Collaboration Success in obtaining resilient and sustainable agroecosystems within the Midwest Region can only be…

Drought Impact Reporter The National Drought Mitigation Center’s Drought Impact Reporter tracks the impact of in various ways, including scanning media for reports about drought impacts, and collecting and mapping observations of drought-related conditions and impacts from…