Hurricane Recovery Resources for Farmers and Forest Landowners

Informational guides: Taking care of your farm or home after a hurricane

The agencies of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) provide technical and financial resources to farmers, ranchers, and forest landowners. The resources listed below include programs for disaster assistance, environmental conservation and economic development in rural areas of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. USDA agencies work together to ensure the nation’s food security, protect agricultural production, boost the development of rural communities, maintain the quality of food and agricultural products, ensure access to healthy food, provide markets for products and to conserve natural resources.

Access and share these resources in Spanish: Recursos del UDSA para agricultores y dueños de fincas

Information for farmers and families affected by hurricanes in the US Caribbean

► Supporting the revival of agriculture and silviculture after hurricanes Irma and Maria(PDF)

► How to disinfect water after a disaster (PDF)

► How to salvage fallen trees after hurricane Maria (PDF)

► Assistance after the hurricanes list of USDA programs (PDF)

► Climate Change Basics (PDF)

► FSA Press releases number to call for farm assistance and support for dairy farmers (PDF)

► Disaster assistance factsheet (PDF)

► USDA FNS_A Customers Guide to Food Safety (PDF)

► USDA RD Summary of Programs (PDF)

► Puerto Rico Departamento de Salud_During Difficult Times Taking Care of Your Family (PDF)


Disaster Assistance""

Natural events, such as hurricanes, windstorms or droughts, can cause destruction and devastation to farms and livestock which result in material and monetary losses for farmers. Consequently, the USDA offers various incentive programs to protect producers from these events.


Summary Caribbean Climate Hub Disaster Assistance for Farmers (PDF, 245KB)

Each incentive program is aimed at a particular audience. In some cases, non-profit corporations, municipal governments, and academic institutions are eligible, in other cases, they are available to farm owners only.""

How to request USDA services and programs?

  • It depends on the program and the agency providing the help. We recommend that you visit the regional offices of the Agency that administers the program that provides the financial assistance (such as matching of funds, loans, insurance or grants) or technical assistance (such as preparation of management plans or visits to the property) that interests you.
  • All grants from the federal government must be requested through


Assistance for Agriculture and Livestock

Protecting agricultural lands and ensuring the continued supply of food are USDA priorities. One of the USDA agencies with the largest presence in the U.S. Caribbean is the Farm Service Agency (FSA), which has a range of programs aimed to: conserve resources in agricultural areas, provide financial aid to farmers and ranchers, assist in disaster situations and promote rural development.



Programs for the Conservation of Natural Resources

The USDA offers various conservation programs that are designed to promote sustainable rural development and agricultural activities. These programs promote important practices related to erosion control, water quality and wildlife habitat protection (NRCS).



USDA Offices in Puerto Rico

USDA Offices in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS)

654 Ave. Luis Muñoz Rivera, Plaza Suite 700, San Juan, PR 00918

Tel: (787) 766-6050 / (787) 771-3611

USDA Service Center Office*

4401 Estate Sion Farm Suite 2 Christiansted, VI 00820

T: (340) 692-9662 / F: (855) 418-2508

Agricultural Research Service (ARS)

Ave. Pedro Albizu Campos, Suite 201, Mayagüez, PR 00682

Tel. (787) 831-3435

St. Croix County Farm Service Agency*

4401 Estate Sion Farm Suite 2 Christiansted, VI 00820

T: (340) 773-9146 ext 100 / F: (855) 478-8386

Food and Nutrition Service (FNS)

654 Ave. Luis Muñoz Rivera, Plaza Suite 702, San Juan, PR 00918

Tel: (787) 766-5586

*Serves St. Croix, St. John & St. Thomas.



Farm Service Agency (FSA)

654 Ave. Luis Muñoz Rivera, Plaza Suite 829, Hato Rey, PR 00918

Tel: (787) 294-1613


Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) Caribbean Area

654 Ave. Luis Muñoz Rivera, Plaza Suite 604, Hato Rey, PR 00918

Tel: (787) 766-5206 / (787) 787-281-4836


Rural Development (RD)

654 Ave. Luis Muñoz Rivera, Plaza Suite 601, Hato Rey, PR 00918

Tel: (787) 766-5095


Risk Management Agency (RMA)

Ave. González Giusti #27, Suite 400, San Patricio Guaynabo, PR 00968

Tel: (787) 722-2748 o 2965


Forest Service International Institute of Tropical Forestry

Jardín Botánico Sur, 1201 Calle Ceiba, San Juan, PR 00926

Tel: (787) 766-5335